Skip to Content
You are here:
Home / Academics / Special Programs / Study Abroad / Study Abroad FAQ

Study Abroad FAQ

  • What study abroad programs are available?

    The list of Olivet-Sponsored Programs consists of all programs offered by the Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and the Focus Leadership Institute (Focus on the Family).

    CCCU programs include culture-shaping programs and culture-crossing programs.

    Culture-Shaping Programs

    • American Studies Program
    • Contemporary Music Center
    • Los Angeles Film Studies Center
    • Washington Journalism Center

    Culture-Crossing Programs

    • Australia Studies Center
    • China Studies Program
    • Latin American Studies Program
    • Middle East Studies Program
    • Programs in Oxford
    • Russian Studies Program
    • Uganda Studies Program

    The list of Olivet-Recognized Programs presently consists of Au Sable, EduVenture, International Business Institute and Romanian Studies. New programs will be considered if they agree with the philosophy and mission of Olivet Nazarene University, and they are approved by the offices of Student Accounts, Financial Aid and the Registrar.

    How much does it cost?

    For all Olivet-sponsored or recognized programs Olivet’s Office of Student Accounts will pay for the cost of the student’s program once invoiced (students are responsible to pay for the program deposit). We will then reverse the Olivet general fee and full-time tuition charges for that semester, and charge the student’s account for the specified cost of the selected program. We will charge the student a $250 “Undergraduate Off-Campus Study Fee.”

    When can I go?

    To participate in any off-campus study abroad program, a student must be at least a second-semester sophomore in good academic standing at Olivet. The student must have the approval of the dean of the University, University registrar, dean of academic support, dean of students and his/her academic advisor. A student may take up to 18 semester hours through cross-registration at the undergraduate level and six hours at the graduate level. All other program-specific requirements must be met prior to application.

    How do I apply?

    1. Select a program and get more information about it from the Olivet representative for that particular program.
    2. Access the Olivet Study Abroad Clearance Form.
    3. Speak to your Olivet faculty advisor.
    4. Begin filling out your application with the program sponsor.
    5. Seek out references. Deliver the appropriate program reference request forms to those you are asking to provide a reference.
    6. Meet with Olivet’s Office of Financial Aid.
    7. Meet with Olivet’s Office of Student Accounts.
    8. Meet with Olivet’s Office of Student Development.
    9. Bring a copy of the program application to the Olivet registrar. The registrar will provide the transcripts and then seek the vice president for academic affairs’ approval. The registrar will mail the transcripts and application to the program.
    10. Deliver Clearance Form to dean of academic support once all signatures have been attained.
    11. Once accepted into a study abroad program, you will need to visit the registrar to determine what credits you will earn. Also, you need to visit the Office of Financial Aid to determine what aid can be applied. Finally, you need to contact the Office of Student Accounts to see the final bill. You may owe additional money depending on the program you choose. 

    How does study abroad or off campus study help me in my major?

    All coursework completed in sponsored programs, and most coursework in recognized programs, is accepted for equivalent credit at Olivet. All students are required to set a meeting with the registrar’s office to evaluate how the coursework will meet the academic needs of the student.

  • Study Abroad FAQ Right Image
  • For a full list of programs and more information, contact Dr. Mark Mountain at 815-928-5794 or